Okay, so you who are wise to the ways of the Tart will remember my fear of getting my photo taken. Turns out it’s not as bad as I thought. In fact, I almost found it empowering.
No, I did not require booze.
No, I did not go to a pro. To be honest, I’m cheap and want to put my time and energy into writing, not into interviewing photographers. Also, I don’t know why, but if ever I were to go that route, I want to feel I’d earned it; like I’ve written a book of which I’m proud, and that somebody someday might want to publish. I’m just not there yet.
This is what I did:
1. Enjoyed the happy coincidence of a cloudy, windless day in my city, so the light wasn’t half-bad.
2. Borrowed Molly’s most excellent camera
3. Applied makeup with a trowel
4. Had my sister do the photography — essential because I felt safe
5. Let the camera roll. Honestly, beyond involving L, this was the most helpful. Out of 100 or so shots, we got 7 or so that were decent. I’m going to show you guys the best of the best.
I kind of like this one, but the position’s just a tad off. And then there are the fashion “issues.” Oops.
So this one was out.
When I polled a few people, the following came in second place. The reasons I did not go with it:
1. Hilary Wagner said I look like I’m thinking profound thoughts like, “Wonder what I should put on mah cereal.”
2. Another friend said I looked like I was carrying a cross. 😯 He’s right, dang it! And that’s so not the vibe I was going for.
And now I’m going to commit a dastardly deed: ask you to visit my new “About” section to view the winning photo and bio. I’m linking below for convenience, and also because I’d really love your feedback and the Bio page can’t take it, unfortunately.
Also, if you’re curious and in the mood for a bit of a scavenger hunt, I’ve posted a slightly different bio on Writer Unboxed. Don’t think Kathleen and Therese have noticed it yet. I’m just sayin’. 😉
Last, a request. Yesterday, when I asked for feedback, these were the kind of comments I got:
Says “trust me”.
Not one person said “vixen” or “wildly inappropriate.” I’m crushed, peeps, crushed. It’s a known fact that citrus brings out the slut in everyone. What am I doing wrong?